The Retainer Scheme exists to support doctors who, for whatever reason, are unable to commit to more than 4 sessions a week.
Details are available on the deanery website, but a brief summary is given below
Benefits for the Retainer
- Maintaining skills and contact with primary care
- Receiving individual support and mentoring from an approved supervisor
- Working sufficiently to maintain the requirements of annual appraisal (and hence revalidation)
- Regular work at the same location
Benefits for the practice
- An extra doctor in the practice, with external contribution to costs of £59 per session
- The stimulus of supporting and nurturing another doctors career
- Contact with medical education through the Deanery
Benefits for Primary Care management
- Retaining doctors who might otherwise be lost to the workforce at a time of recruitment shortage
- Providing greater continuity and regularity of service provision to patients
Who can be a Retainer?
Anyone with bona fide reasons preventing working more than half time.
Who can host a Retainer in their practice?
Anyone. Deanery approval is automatic for approved training practices, and the approval process for non training practices is straightforward
Further information from:
Jacqueline.firstname.lastname@example.org Retainer Scheme Manager
Jim.Morison@southwest.nhs.uk Associate Postgraduate Dean